Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a quick and spicy meal which can easily be served to guests. Even the small ones in the family enjoy the "more than usual" heat. To calm it some, you can use i can of standard Ro*Tel. Sour cream, shredded cheddar, and/or cilantro toppings are optional
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Ro-tel Mexican festival tomatoes
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can ripe olives, sliced, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) package yellow rice, cooked
- Combine first 3 ingredients.
- Roll chicken in flour mixture.
- Brown chicken in oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add tomatoes and next 2 ingredients.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Serve chicken mixture over yellow rice with toppings as desired.
Yummmm! A definite keeper of a recipe! I used boneless skinless thighs in place of the chicken breasts in this recipe because of the cost factor. The yellow rice was a new ingredient for us...and one we will certainly have more often! The only change I will make to the recipe next time is to double the olives which is a request my kids made. We topped the dish with some fresh chopped cilantro, sour cream and a little grated cheddar cheese. Thanks so much for sharing this tasty and simple recipe. Made and reviewed for the 62nd AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.
This recipe makes for one great looking dish - love when chicken comes to the table looking like I spent all day in the kitchen - and tasting as good as it looks! Not having the Ro-tel Mexican festival used diced tomatoes adding green chillies. Only had a half can of olives on hand but that worked for me. Will I be making this again - YES! Thank you for a great tasting chicken recipe to add to our favourites cookbook.
-Rave reviews for your recipe Jane. DH and friends ate this at the camp before fishing and said MAKE AGAIN! I did use orzo instad of rice as I had that on hand for the boys to take with them. They are finishing it off tomorrow for lunch. They loved the flavors and Dh said it will be even better tomorrow after a reheat. Cool weekend planned so this was the perfect meal for the boys to take with them. EXCELLENT! In my "do again" cookbook!