Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This dish is even better the second day!
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (I like red)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 -4 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (depending on your "heat" preference)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 1⁄3 cups frozen white shoepeg corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced (optional)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 (8 ounce) packagesgrated Mexican blend cheese
- 3 cups cooked chicken or 3 cups turkey, chopped
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped cream chilies
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- 16 -18 corn tortillas
- Saute onions, peppers, garlic and corn in olive oil.
- In a mixing bowl blend cream cheese with sauteed mixture, 1 package Mexican blend cheese, 1/4 teaspoon cumin and cilantro.
- Blend in chicken/turkey and set aside.
- (If mixture is too dry, you can thin it with a small amount of broth or milk for easier spreading).
- In a saucepan, add broth to soup and heat until bubbling.
- Remove from heat and stir in Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, green chilies, thyme, salt, pepper and remaining cumin.
- In a greased 13x9 baking pan, spread 1/2 cup of the cheese/soup sauce.
- Layer with several corn tortillas, torn to fit the pan.
- Spread approximately 1/3 of chicken mixture and 1/4 of the cheese sauce.
- Repeat layering of tortillas, chicken, then cheese mixture.
- Top with remaining package of Mexican blend cheese.
- Loosely cover pan with foil and bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Lots of cheese I must say but overall pretty good. Next time I make it, Im going to add a few things to it.