Recipe by Miss Annie
A delightful entree to serve to company, one of my favorites. I serve with Spanish rice or green chile rice.
Top Review by JustJanS
The family enjoyed this tonight. I followed the recipe pretty closely, but did change the water to wine, the green olives to black, and the dry oregano to fresh. I like to use what's at hand! Thanks for a great recipe Ann, full of the flavours we love.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 12 green olives, sliced
- 4 cups tomatoes, chopped (about 4 Medium)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 chicken breast halves, boneless
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in oil in a 10-inch skillet until tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, except the chicken breasts and mushrooms.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Place chicken, skin sides up, in a single layer in skillet.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, cover and cook until chicken is done, about 15 minutes longer.