Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A filling vegetarian casserole.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into 3/8-inch strips
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded, sliced, and drained
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- chopped pitted black olives
- sliced green onion
- light sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Warm the oil in a skillet overmedium heat; add in the onion; stir/saute for 5 minutes or until tender; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, chiles, cilantro, seasonings, and cooked onion.
- In a 13x9 inch baking dish that has been lightly coated with cooking spray, add half of each of the following in layers: the tortillas, cottage cheese mixture, beans, tomatoes, and the combined Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese.
- Repeat the layers.
- Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with toppings.