Recipe by PanNan
This quiche-like casserole is so easy to make, and just takes some oven time to roast the vegetables to their peak of flavor, and to set the cheesy custard. Don't be afraid of the jalapeños. When roasted they have more sweet than heat.
Top Review by Al Al
We loved the roasted veggies in this rich egg bake. I used whole wheat tortillas and baked in an 8x8 dish but otherwise followed the directions as written. This was a great change from your ordinary egg bake... THanks!
- 2 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 large red onion, cut in 1/4-inch wedges
- 1 large carrot, cut in 1/4-inch slices on the diagonal
- 2 large jalapenos, seeds removed and chopped in 1/4-inch squares
- 12 grape tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 3 eggs
- 6 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- cilantro, chopped (garnish) (optional)
- avocado, sliced (garnish) (optional)
- salsa (garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place prepared vegetables on a baking tray in a single layer, and drizzle the olive oil on top. Lift and coat the vegetables with the oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast the vegetables for 25 minutes, or until lightly charred on the edges. Cool slightly.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F after removing the roasted vegetables.
- Meanwhile, coat the bottom and sides of an 11x7 baking pan with oil (or an oil spray), and arrange the tortillas on the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- Mix the eggs and cream and whisk until incorporated. Add the cheese and stir. Set aside.
- Using a spoon, or tongs, gently lift the roasted tomatoes and place evenly on the tortillas in the baking pan. Stir the remaining vegetables, breaking the onions apart and mixing them with the other vegetables. Spoon evenly onto the tortillas with the tomatoes.
- Pour the egg and cheese mixture over the vegetables and spread to cover, allowing some of the colorful vegetables to peek out the top. Bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes, or until the custard is set.
- Cool and slice into 6 portions, garnishing each with cilantro, avocado slices, and/or fresh salsa.