Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Kabobs look special & you can have a party on a plate with minimum effort. After the preparation (which can be done ahead) the recipe goes together quickly and utilizes an indoor contact grill. The meatballs are soft, so cooking on an outdoor grill would require adjustments and presoaking the bamboo skewers. I don't presoak the skewers when using a foreman style grill. 30 min prep & 30 min chill time
For the meatballs
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chunky salsa, medium
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
To assemble the skewers
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into eight 3/4 ' thick sections
- 1 medium purple onion, cut into eight wedges
- 1 bell pepper (red or green)
- 4 bamboo skewers, 12 inches long
- cooking spray
For the Creme
- 1 avocado
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (reduced fat okay)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh jalapeno, minced (or more)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Make the meatballs. Pour all ingredients into a large bowl & mix well. Form into 16 small balls as firmly as possible. Place on plate & flatten slightly. Cover & chill at least 30 minutes. The meatballs will be soft so chilling or even flash freezing is important.
- Make the Creme. In small bowl mash the avocado. Add remaining ingredients & stir. Chill until later.
- Preheat indoor contact grill.
- Assemble the skewers. The vegetables should be similar in size to the meatballs to ensure even cooking. Alternate 2 sections of zucchini, 2 peppers, 2 red onion sections and 4 meatballs onto each of four skewers. Use the curves of the vegetables to "cup" the meatballs to help hold in place. Pack the skewers tightly.
- Spray the grill top & bottom liberally with cooking spray. Place skewers on grill & shut lid. Set timer for 7 minutes.
- Use spatula to gently flip skewers over & rearrange position on grill from front to back. Cook for an additional 4 minutes or longer depending on your grill. The veggies should be soft & the meatballs browned.
- Serve hot with the avocado & cilantro sauce to drizzle on top.
- The skewers would be good served on top of rice or even in tortillas.
I made half this recipe and still got 4 skewers. The meatballs were good but the cooking time was way too long for my contact grill. They came out much better with just 7 minutes of cooking time. The sauce was very good and went well with the meatballs. Good luck in the contest.