Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From an Easy Everyday Cooking recipe card. This chicken is breaded, baked and served with a flavorful sauce. Great served with black beans and rice.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste or 2 tablespoons ketchup
Chili Seasoning Mix or use store bought
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large ovenproof skillet in the oven.
- Mix cornmeal, chili seasoning and flour in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Add chicken to bag, seal, and shake bag to coat chicken.
- Remove chicken from bag, reserving cornmeal and flour mixture.
- Add chicken to skillet, turning to coat with butter, then place skillet in oven.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until brown and crisp, turning once.
- Place chicken on a serving platter and keep warm.
- Place skillet on stovetop over medium heat.
- Add reserved cornmeal and flour mixture to skillet drippings.
- Cook, stirring continually for 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth and tomato paste.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve chicken topped with sauce.
The chicken was crisp and tender and the sauce was delicious. Quick and easy to make, a great weeknight meal. I served it with a side of Recipe #232306. Made a great combination. Made for PAC Fall '07.