Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From a 1980 cookbook called Texas Recipes from Texas Places
- 2 lbs ground round or 2 lbs chuck steaks
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups beer
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- cayenne pepper
- 4 -5 medium jalapeno peppers, chopped
- In large skillet braise meat in 1/4 cup oil till browned. Transfer to slow cooker or large pot leaving liquid in skillet.
- Add water and tomato sauce to meat, cook over low heat.
- Saute onion, green pepper and garlic in remaining oil and liquid in skillet.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and jalapeno peppers with seeds removed.
- Simmer about 30 minutes then transfer to kettle or slow cooker. Cooker on low about 2 hours. Dip off grease that forms on top.