Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Original recipe came from Relish Magazine in the newspaper; I have changed the amounts to make it more manageable for the home cook. This salsa is hot, remove seeds and inner membranes of peppers for a milder flavor or use less hot peppers. The peppers can be adjusted to your own personal taste. This is the best salsa I've ever eaten and a great way to use some of those summer tomatoes.
- 10 lbs tomatoes, cored, seeded and chopped (homegrown are best)
- 2 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 8 jalapenos, minced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 4 ounces cilantro, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1⁄2 cups white distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lime, zest and juice (can use 2 if you like lime)
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes; reduce heat and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- Ladle into sterilized jars leaving about 1/4 inch head space and place in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Let cool 24 hours.