Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
The best way to use those seeds from the Halloween jack-o-lanterns! Spicy! Time to prepare does not include time to clean and dry the pumpkin seeds.
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Clean the seeds of pumpkin"strings" with water, then spread out to dry thoroughly before proceeding.
- Drying will probably take a day, at least.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Combine melted butter with the Tabasco, cayenne, cumin and chili powder.
- Place pumpkin seeds in a small bowl and pour butter mixture over; stir to coat seeds thoroughly.
- Spread in a single layer on a non-stick baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Bake 45 minutes, stirring once to turn the seeds about half-way through baking.
- Let cool completely-- they'll be more crispy that way.
- Store in air-tight container.
Dh gives these 5 stars plus. I made them just for him because he likes the fire. I cut the cayenne in half just in case and that was plenty fiery for him. His eyes were watering and he laughingly said he didn't dare touch them with his fingers. I din't bother to get all the strings off (adds extra flavor, IMHO), I didn't rinse and I didn't dry them. I skipped the salt because Dh doesn't need it and he didn't seem to miss it. Great flavor, Meredith.