Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Quick, easy, and buttery good with or without a touch of fire. From a Challenge Butter box
- 2 tablespoons butter (salted)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (or not)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper (or not)
- 1 cup sugar (white)
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup (light)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups almonds (raw, whole)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- Butter a large cookie sheet; set aside. (A silicon baking sheet could be used instead).
- In a small custard cup, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter, stir in the pepper seasoning, set aside.
- In a 2-quart glass bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Microwave on high for 3 minutes, or until the syrup boils rapidly about 275 degrees Fahrenheit - soft crack stage.
- Stir the mixture and add the almonds. Microwave on high an additional 5 to 6 minutes stirring about halfway through the cooking time. (The syrup will be light brown - about 350 degrees Fahrenheit - hard crack stage).
- Stir in the butter pepper mixture.
- Sprinkle baking soda over mixture stirring constantly.
- Immediately pour mixture onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Cool, then break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.