Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve on cold meat sandwiches, burgers or hot dogs.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 3 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 80 ml red wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili flakes
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat and cook onions for 8-10 minutes until softened and lightly golden.
- Stir in garlic, cumin seeds and mustard seeds, and cook for a further minute.
- Add brown sugar, salt, red wine vinegar and chilli flakes.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for a further 8 minutes, until liquid has evaporated and the onions are sticky and caramelised.
Was looking for an onion relish recipe for my hubby last minute...this one is here to stay for every hotdog Sunday!
This was my first attempt at making relish and what a great recipe. The colour from the red onions and the red wine vinegar is fantastic. Easy to follow recipe and the end result has a nice bite to it. Definitely a keeper - thanks Jewelies.