Recipe by mliss29
This was the weekly recipe from Lakewinds Whole Food Co-op in Minnetonka, Minnesota in (I think) 1999. I'm guessing on the cooking time as I don't have it written down. This isn't actually vegan unless you omit or replace the honey (brown rice syrup might be nice), but I can't figure out how to go back and edit the categories. Sorry about that.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup leek, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 lbs fresh pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and diced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, heat oil.
- Add leeks and saute over medium-high heat.
- Add ginger & garlic. Saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes & honey. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in broth, pumpkin & salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until pumpkin is tender.
- Adjust seasoning and serve.
- Variation: Mince 1 jalapeno pepper and add with the garlic and ginger.