Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This came from a Cooking Light edition of unknown year. It is SOO good, and so easy, that it will become one of your frequent repeats, BEWARE ! 1 chipotle will likely be plenty, unless you have an asbestos tongue ! Be CERTAIN to allow the 10 minutes standing time necessary for the rice to soak up the flavorful juices,
- 453.59 g sweet Italian sausage link
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- cooking spray
- 453.59 g package frozen bell peppers onions and celery
- 236.59 ml converted rice, uncooked
- 177.44 ml celery, sliced thinly
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 3.69 ml sugar
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 297.66 g can beef broth
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced, canned
- Remove casings from sausage.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage; cook 7 minutes until browned an, stirring to crumble.
- Remove from pan and drain.
- Add pepper stir fry mix and remaining ingredients tto pan, and bring mixture to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in sausage.
- Cover and lete stand for 10 minutes.
This is from the March 2001 issue of Cooking Light and it's tasty. A second chipotle makes it very spicy.
This is a good recipe with tons of flavor. I followed the recipe exactly as written. I think next time I will use the whole 14.5 ounces of beef broth so that the rice is a little softer and fluffier. Made for January, 2008 Aussie/NZ Swap.