8 hrs 40 mins
Pierre Dance's Note:
This thick, hot, and spicy stew started when I was inventorying the freezer. The contents of which got me to thinking of Jambalaya but I wanted to go somewhere else with it, so I crossbred several recipes. played with the seasoning a bit, and this is the result. Preping is a must with this many ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups chicken stock, homade is best
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- oil (for frying)
- 4 chicken thighs, skinned,boned,defatted,cut bite sized
- 1/2 lb catfish nuggets, cut bite sized
- 3 hot Italian sausage or 3 sweet Italian sausage links, cut bite sized
- 3 smoked sausage, cut bite sized
- 1/2 lb chopped or shredded beef (Amazing Beef # 46982 is great to have on hand.)
- 2 yellow onions, coursley chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded,coursely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb baby carrots, cut in two lengthwise
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cups tomatoes, blanched,skinned,coursely chopped
- 8 yukon gold potatoes, don't peel,just scrub them,cut into 3/8 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons masa harina, mixed with
- 1 cup cold chicken stock
- 1/2 cup instant potato flakes
- 1Pour 3 cups chicken stock into crockpot, set on high.
- 2Mix Flour, Cornmeal, Salt, and Pepper in a plastic bag.
- 3Dip Chicken in the egg.
- 4Add Chicken to the bag, shake well, Remove, set aside.
- 5Dip Catfish in the egg.
- 6Add Catfish to the bag, shake well, Remove, set aside.
- 7Dump leftover egg and flour mixture into the crockpot.
- 8Put 1/2 inch of oil into a dutch oven.
- 9Heat to 350°F (IMPORTANT, you want to sear the meat to seal it).
- 10Fry the chicken 3 minutes to the side.
- 11Remove, drain on paper towel.
- 12Fry Fish 3 minutes to the side.
- 13Remove, Drain on paper towel.
- 14Fry Sausages, 3 minutes to the side.
- 15Remove, drain on paper towel.
- 16Dump oil, wipe pot, reheat, add 3 TBS Oil.
- 17Saute (stir fry) Onions, Bell Pepper, Celery, and Carrots 'til onions are translucent.
- 18Add Garlic and ginger, saute 'til garlic is wilted.
- 19Add Meat, Vegetables, and seasoning to the crock pot.
- 20Cover, reduce heat to low, cook for 7 hours.
- 21Stir Masa Harina/chicken stock mixture, add to pot.
- 22Add instant Potato Flakes to the pot.
- 23Cook 1 hour longer.
- 24Add Lime Juice, mix well.
- 25Readjust seasoning.
- 26Serve plain or over Basmati Rice that was cooked in chicken stock or over Rotini or egg noodles with a hardy bread for sauce control.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Field, Fish, and Fowl Stew
Serving Size: 1 (474 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 655.5
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 160.8 mg
- Sodium 1270.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 40.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: