My mom used to make this when we were growing up. This is not her exact recipe, I wrote it down as I went. We don't follow recipes or measure frequently made foods in my family. I learned to cook by watching and doing, so I have to write down as I go on a lot of recipes. You can adjust the spices to suit your taste. I use more, because I like it hot. You can leave out the beef and use as a side dish.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces angel hair pasta (fideo)
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 fresh jalapeno (diced)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon powder
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (grated for garnish)
- Brown ground beef with chili powder,red pepper,cumin,salt,onion,garlic and jalapeno.
- Set beef mixture aside.
- In a large deep skillet with a lid, heat oil and add fideo,broken into small pieces, and orzo.
- Stir constantly for 2-3 minutes, allowing pasta to brown lightly.
- Turn heat down to medium.
- Add beef mixture to skillet with pasta.
- Add canned tomatoes juice included.
- Add canned green chilies.
- Mix beef bouillon powder with 2 cups hot water and add to pasta.
- Place lid on skillet and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, until pasta is cooked.
- Top with grated cheddar cheese.
wow very very good! I made just a few changes for what I had on hand. not much different from the original.<br/>No crushed red pepper: Used 1 Tbsp srircha instead, no green chilies: used 1 can mild rotel and 1 can of petite diced tomatoes instead of the 3 cans recipe called for. we topped ours with a mix of cheddar and Monterey jack cheese. OH and I didn't have regular chili powder so I had to use HOT Mexican chili powder. we will definitely have this again. I might even tone down the heat and make for a pot luck!
Great flavor and perfect amount of heat for a side dish!!! I omitted the ground beef, diced green chilies and cheddar cheese because I didn't have them on hand. Also, I substituted 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes for the ground red pepper and changed the pasta measurements to 4 oz. orzo and 8 oz. fideos. This was a side dish to our dinner and I will definitely be making this again!
I made this for dinner for my family and we all loved it. I used garlic powder because I didnt have any garlic salt and just added a tsp. of kosher salt too. Also I didnt have beef bouillion so I used 2 cups hot beef broth instead of the bouillion and the water. It was a bit spicy but we all like it hot. Will be making again for sure. My boys were scooping up leftovers with nacho doritos!! Thanks for a great recipe.