My mom used to make this when we were growing up. This is not her exact recipe, I wrote it down as I went. We don't follow recipes or measure frequently made foods in my family. I learned to cook by watching and doing, so I have to write down as I go on a lot of recipes. You can adjust the spices to suit your taste. I use more, because I like it hot. You can leave out the beef and use as a side dish.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces angel hair pasta (fideo)
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 fresh jalapeno (diced)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon powder
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (grated for garnish)
- Brown ground beef with chili powder,red pepper,cumin,salt,onion,garlic and jalapeno.
- Set beef mixture aside.
- In a large deep skillet with a lid, heat oil and add fideo,broken into small pieces, and orzo.
- Stir constantly for 2-3 minutes, allowing pasta to brown lightly.
- Turn heat down to medium.
- Add beef mixture to skillet with pasta.
- Add canned tomatoes juice included.
- Add canned green chilies.
- Mix beef bouillon powder with 2 cups hot water and add to pasta.
- Place lid on skillet and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, until pasta is cooked.
- Top with grated cheddar cheese.