Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is not your average chili. This one is very hearty
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef, lean,browned and drained
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes, canned
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, canned,drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, canned,drained
- 1 package sazon goya
- In a large skillet, brown bacon pieces until crisp.
- Remove from skillet; drain well.
- Brown sausage* and ground beef with onions over medium heat; drain and add to Crock-Pot.
- Add bacon and remaining ingredients; stir well.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 14 hours.
- Taste for seasoning.
- *(Choritzo,Kielbassa or Italian sausage may be used.).
My husband and teenaged son loved this chili. My husband said it was so tasty and unique that it should be entered in a chili cookoff. The only changes I made were to double the bacon to 6 pieces and to use Spanish chorizo, not Mexican, because that's what I had on hand. Because I don't eat meat, I can't personally comment on the chili's taste, but based upon my family's reaction, I'll definitely be making this chili again. A very nice accompaniment to it is Sue L's Chilean Rice (#82167).
I added 1 tsp salt and used 1 1/2 tsp of sazon completa since goya sazon was not readily available. my friends are asking for the recipe!
This was the best chili ever. I didn't use garbanzo beans, but I used red kidney beans. I also took the sausage out of the casings before cooking it. I would make this again!!!