2 hrs 20 mins
I found this recipe on the Recipe Goldmine website. It noted that the recipe was originally published in Bon Appetit Magazine March 2001. Serving and yield are a guesstimate as they were not listed. Posted for safe keeping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium high heat. Add beef and saute' until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute' 1 minute. Add beef stock, tomato paste, sugar, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- 2Meanwhile, melt butter in another large pot over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion and carrots. Saute' vegetables until golden, about 20 minutes. Add vegetables to beef stew. Simmer uncovered until vegetables and beef are very tender, about 40 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Tilt pan and spoon off fat.
- 3Serve with a sprinkle of parsley on top.
- 4Note- Can be make up to 2 days ahead of time. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cool. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Bring to simmer before serving.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fidel Murphy's Irish Pub Irish Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (554 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 578.9
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 84.7 mg
- Sodium 1698.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 36.0 g