Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this in a search for a crispbread recipe to duplicate Kavli Crispy Onion crispbread. As of today (3/11/05), I've not made it, but I'll be rectifying that very soon! This is not my recipe - I found it at a British "downsizing" forum, and all the credit goes to the wonderful Julie!
- 8 ounces rye flour
- 2 ounces margarine or 2 ounces butter
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons milk or 4 tablespoons water
- Rub the margarine in to the flour and stir in the herbs and salt.
- Stir in the water and mix to a firm dough.
- Divide the dough in to two halves.
- Knead each half lightly on a floured surface.
- Roll each half out thinly in to about a 9" square.
- Thinly is the operative word, or they're rather chewy.
- Cut in to 3" squares and put on to a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Prick each square well to prevent it from rising and bubbling during baking.
- Bake at 200°c (Approx 390°F) for 10 to 15 minutes or until the edges just begin to colour, but do not let them brown.
- Cool slightly on the baking sheet then transfer to wire racks.
- For Vegan use only a Vegan [non dairy] margarine and only the water.
This was really good and easy. I found water worked better than milk. for seasoning I used basil and garlic. Enjoy!!