Recipe by Rita~
Fiddlehead ferns are earthy goodness having a flavor similar to asparagus and are available from April through July in many specialty markets.
- 2 cups fiddlehead ferns
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil or 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon diced sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh diced parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim and rinse fiddleheads, removing any brown ends or mushy parts.
- In a large pot bring 2 quarts salted water to a boil. Add fiddleheads and cook 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute onion for 3 minutes.
- Add fiddleheads. Cook, stirring, until they start to brown, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, garlic, parsley and red pepper flakes, stirring, until garlic is fragrant and just starting to color, about 1 minute. Salt or squeeze lemon to taste. Serve immediately.