Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A low fat side dish of Maine.This sauce is really nice try it with any veggies.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fiddleheads
- 1 garlic clove (sliced thin)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Clean and prepare fiddleheads:.
- Remove scales and wash thoroughly. Place fiddleheads in a vegetable steamer over boiling water sprinkle garlic over them.
- Cover and steam 20 minutes or until tender, but still crisp. Set aside, and keep warm.
- Combine cornstarch and buttermilk in a small saucepan; stir well. Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in mustard, lemon juice, tarragon and pepper.
- Arrange fiddleheads on a serving platter, spoon sauce over fiddleheads. Granish with lemon slices.
- Serve immediately.