Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Me, just anticipating fiddlehead season!
- 4 cups fiddleheads, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the fiddleheads, return to a boil and cook until they are almost tender and turn pale green, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Coarsely chop and reserve.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until they become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the fiddleheads and chicken stock.
- Stir, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a gentle boil.
- Cover and cook until the fiddleheads are thoroughly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the milk, reduce the heat to medium, and heat until nearly boiling.
- Do not let the soup boil or the milk will curdle.
- Stir in the lemon zest and season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup into four bowls, garnish with paprika and serve immediately.