48 hrs 45 mins
Fiambre is normally prepared for Dia de los Muertos, when families gather to visit the cemetery and picnic with their loved ones. Every family has their own traditional combination of ingredients. Feel free to leave out a few listed here, or to add some of your own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 beets, sliced
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 946.36 ml green beans
- 1 cauliflower, cut in sections
- 1 cabbage, cut in fine long pieces
- 50 white pearl onions
- 453.59 g Brussels sprout
- 946.36 ml peas
- 453.59 g fava beans (fresh)
- 226.79 g chickpeas (fresh)
- 473.18 ml corn (shelled)
- 25 fresh edible flowers (picayas, pickled date palm blossoms)
- 226.79 g red beans (fresh)
- 226.79 g white beans (fresh)
- 453.59 g chicken (cooked, removed from bone in long strips)
- herbs (Yerba buena)
- 946.0 ml vinegar
- 473.19 ml olive oil
- 88.74 ml mustard
- 73.94 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- 14.79 ml nutmeg
- 113.39 g capers
- 2 eggs, boiled
- 453.59 g red chorizo sausage, sliced
- 453.59 g black chorizo sausage, sliced
- 453.59 g yellow chorizo sausage, sliced
- 453.59 g butifarra, sliced
- 453.59 g hot dog, cooked and sliced (salchicha)
- 453.59 g ham, cut in long strips
- 453.59 g mortadella, cut in large cubes
- 453.59 g salami, cut in large cubes
- 453.59 g hot dog, cut lengthwise (salchicha)
- 907.18 g shrimp, cooked and peeled (optional)
- 170.09 g sardines in oil, cut in pieces (optional)
- 170.09 g sardines in tomato sauce, cut in pieces (optional)
- 170.09 g canned mackerel, cut in pieces (optional)
- 170.09 g salmon, cut in pieces (canned) (optional)
- 226.79 g pimientos (canned)
- 226.79 g pickled onion
- 226.79 g yellow cheese, sliced
- 3 head lettuce
- 226.79 g asparagus (canned)
- 226.79 g baby corn
- 1Two days before:.
- 2Boil the following vegetables, in groups, until just cooked. They should still be very firm.
- 3Group 1 is beets.
- 4Group 2 is carrots and green beans.
- 5Group 3 is cauliflower, cabbage, onions, and brussel sprouts.
- 6Group 4 is peas, fava beans, garbanzos, and corn.
- 7Group 5 is picayas. (Change the water at least twice during cooking.).
- 8Group 6 is red beans.
- 9Group 7 is white beans.
- 10Boil the chicken with parsley and yerba buena until tender. Chill and skim to remove fat.
- 11Place the broth in a blender with vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper to taste, Worcestershire, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, nutmeg, capers, and two boiled eggs, Liquefy and return to boiler to simmer. Refrigerate overnight.
- 12One day before:.
- 13Boil in water the red, black, and yellow chorizo, along with the butifarras.
- 14In a large container, combine chorizo, chicken meat, salchicha, ham mortadella spicy salami, and salchichón. If desired, add shrimp, sardines, mackerel, and salmon.
- 15Then add the vegetables, and pour over the chicken broth mixture.
- 16Cover and allow to stand overnight in the refrigerator.
- 17The day of:.
- 18Prepare each serving plate by covering it with the lettuce leaves. Then add the vegetables and meats, and decorate with pimientos, sliced cheese, asparagus, baby corn, radishes, olives, and boiled eggs. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
Nutritional Facts for Fiambre
Serving Size: 1 (578 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1124.9
- Calories from Fat 710
- Total Fat 78.9 g
- Saturated Fat 24.4 g
- Cholesterol 160.3 mg
- Sodium 2683.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.1 g
- Sugars 18.2 g
- Protein 50.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh edible flowers