Recipe by Rinshinomori
Continuing with my love of Vienna - Goulash is a traditional Hungarian dish. Due to the transferring of Hungarian regimental troops to Austria, goulash found its way into Viennese cuisine. The Fiaker goulash is a special Viennese version of this fiery-spicy delicacy from the Puszta. Although 2 1/2 hours stovetop and 45 minutes in the oven seem like a long time, the results are excellent. This is one of the richest tasting goulash I've ever ate and it is my husband's favorite. The addition of fried egg (sunnyside up) really adds too. You can omit the sausage but be sure to have the egg and fanned gherkins.
- 1020.58 g stewing beef (any kind)
- 2-3 sacher sausages (optional) or 4 frankfurters (optional)
- 3 onions, large
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 29.58 ml sweet paprika
- 4.92 ml hot paprika
- 3 garlic cloves
- 14.79 ml tomatoes, paste
- 14.79 ml marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 4.92 ml caraway seed, chopped
- 29.58 ml vinegar
- 14.79 ml water
- 1.23-2.46 ml sugar (optional)
- water (to cover the meat)
- ground pepper
- 4 eggs
- butter (for frying eggs)
- 4 piece gherkins (pickled)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the onions in strips, the meat in cubes, and crush the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a pot and fry onions on medium heat until golden brown. Add the paprika powder and tomato paste, stir, and quickly pour in the vinegar and a little water.
- Mix the cubed meat with salt and pepper, and add to the pot. Stir in the garlic, marjoram, bay leaves and caraway, and pour in enough water so that the meat is covered.
- Stir, and simmer on medium heat, semi-covered, for about 2 1/2 hours. Stir from time to time, and add water to keep the meat submerged partially at all times. Do not let the mixture dry out or burn.
- After 2 1/2 hours, take the pot off the stove and place in a 300 degrees F oven covered for about 45 minute.
- Meanwhile, heat water for the sausages. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a pan, and fry the eggs to your liking. Slice the gherkins in the shape of a fan.
- When the goulash is ready, stir vigorously and serve on warmed plates. Place the fried egg on top of the goulash, and one sausage on the side. Garnish with gherkins.