Recipe by Bergy
Wonderful flavor and a great appearance - Lovely appetizer or as a side dish for a Brunch buffet. I use non stick foil under them instead of spraying the cookie sheet with oil. These can sit for a couple of hours in the fridge and then just pop them in the oven 20 minutes before serving. Chill time of 1 hour or more not included in the prep time. I like to cover them with plastic wrap before putting them in the fridge. This recipe was originally (years ago) from the Overwaitea quarterly magazine.
Top Review by PleasantNancy
I made these last night for a Christmas Party...they were all gone in about 5 minutes. My DH and I split the last one and they were oh so tasty! I will be making these again for a New Years Eve Party and this time I will be sure to have a taste BEFORE serving to guests!! The cheese filling has such a nice blend of flavors. Thanks Bergy, for another winner!!
- 1 (397 g) package puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 (250 g) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 ounces swiss gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon mixed crushed dry herbs (your choice but I like rosemary & thyme)
- salt & pepper
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Roll out each slab of pastry in a rectangle 10 1/2" x 21" and cut each rectangle into 18 pieces 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" You will end up with 36 pieces from the two slabs.
- Whisk together the beaten egg and the cream cheese, add remaining ingredients (except egg yolks) and whisk some more until well blended Place a tbsp of the cheese mixture in the center of each pastry square.
- Beat together the egg yolks& water.
- Brush all four corners of the square with the egg yolk wash Pull up the corners and squeeze together at the top forming a little package Place packages on a lightly oil sprayed cookie sheet Refrigerate for at least 1 hour Preheat oven to 400F Brush outside of the packages with the remaining egg wash Bake about 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden Serve hot (warm).