1/6 Photos of Feuerzangenbowle (Burnt Punch, Traditional German Beverage)
Feuerzangenbowle has a long tradtion in our family. We used this recipe now for years and we don't change it. Feuerzangenbowle will be made every year at least once. Invite good friends, sit around the table with the Feuerzangenbowle on it, talk, laugh and enjoy the company of good friends. Very communicative and festive. When you set the "Feuerzangenbowle" on fire dim the light and enjoy the magic of this very special attraction.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For 10-12 glasses
- 1Wash the oranges and lemons thouroughly, pat dry and cut into slices or wedges.
- 2In a large pot add red wine, oranges, lemons, cinnamon and cloves. Heat up slowly, but let not boil.
- 3Move pot from heat and place it on a heating surface, stove or flame (which you can place on the table, like the one you use for Fondue). Add ginger.
- 4Place the sugar loaf above the red wine mixture (about 1 inch above the surface). You can use a special "fire tongs", which is made for this purpose. You can also a kind of wire netting to place the sugar loaf on.
- 5Soak the sugar loaf with rum and light up the alcohol. The sugar will melt and drip into the wine. Add rum (little by little) to keep the fire burning until the sugar loaf is used up.
- 6After the sugar loaf is used up stir gently and serve. If you like you can also use the orange or lemon wedges too.
- 7NOTE on red wine: use a dry red wine. It should not be too light.
- 8NOTE on equipment: there is a special equipment used in Germany, especially the fire tongs. You can make your own. It is important that the sugar can drop into the wine and that the sugar loaf can not fall down or that the hot (melted) sugar can drop outside the pot.
- 9NOTE on how to light the rum: I put the rum into a small scoop and light it "outside" the Feuerzangenbowle and then pour it over the sugar loaf very carefully.
- 10SAFETY: be very careful, you are handling with alcohol and fire. Take the necessary precautions.
Browse Our Top Punch Beverage Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Punch Beverage Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Feuerzangenbowle (Burnt Punch, Traditional German Beverage)
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.5
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 26.3 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: