You do want to take advantage of summer's bounty of juicy farm fresh or garden fresh tomatoes for this bold and piquant recipe...you really do! I substituted fresh fettucini for spaghetti and added an artisan goat's milk cheese that the cheese steward convinced me to buy. From Italian Two Easy as served at London's River Cafe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dried hot red chili pepper, lightly roasted (your choice-Thai, japones, even chipotle etc.)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons imported black olives
- 1 cup arugula leaf, chopped (also known as rocket)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 11 ounces fettuccine (I used fresh locally made pasta) or 11 ounces spaghetti (I used fresh locally made pasta)
- 3 -4 tablespoons Cacio di Fossa cheese, grated (Parmesan, pecorino-romano, gorgonzola can be subbed) (optional)
- olive oil, for drizzling
- cracked black pepper
- 1Lighlty roast the chili. Set aside to cool. Once cool, remove stem, seeds and devein. Crumble into small pieces.
- 2Depending on their size, cut the tomatoes in half or quarters. Squeeze out the excess juice and seeds and then coarsely chop.
- 3Peel the garlic and mash with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- 4Pit the olives. Roughly chop the arugula.
- 5Combine the tomatoes, garlic, chile, capers and olives in a bowl. Season generously with the olive oil. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- 6Cook the pasta according to package directions in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain the pasta and stir into the tomato mixture.
- 7Transfer the pasta mixture to a serving platter. Garnish with the arugula. Toss to distribute the ingredients. Season with cracked black pepper to taste.
- 8Serve with olive oil on the side. Garnish with the freshly grated cheese if desired.
- 9Omit the cheese for Vegan.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fettucini With Tomatoes, Capers and Arugula
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 849.4
- Calories from Fat 262
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 131.6 mg
- Sodium 1576.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 124.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 25.1 g