Recipe by COOKGIRl
From the wonderful cookbook Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen. The original recipe specified spaghetti but I'm more fond of fettucini, having the good fortune and access to quality fresh pasta made here in town. The mavericks among you may add some imported Greek or Italian cheese and I won't mind a bit.
- 1 cup imported kalamata olives (any good quality black olives, pitted and coarsely chopped) or 1 cup gaeta olive (any good quality black olives, pitted and coarsely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts or 1⁄4 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced thinly then cut into crescents
- 2⁄3 cup imported mizithra cheese (optional) or 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese (optional) or 2⁄3 cup pecorino romano cheese, etc. (optional)
- 16 ounces fresh fettuccine (cut up the pasta pieces into fourths) or 16 ounces fresh spaghetti (cut up the pasta pieces into fourths)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to BROIL.
- Soak the raisins in warm water, covered, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In the meantime, in a medium bowl stir together the olives, raisins (drained of the soaking water), bread crumbs, half of the olive oil, pine nuts, and capers. Season with black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large pot cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to directions to the "al dente" stage. Drain the pasta well, return to pot adding the remaining olive oil. Toss to combine. Next add the olive/raisin mixture. Toss well.
- Lightly grease a large square pizza pan, or large oven-proof shallow casserole dish. Arrange the cut up onion pieces singly on the bottom of the baking pan. Pour in the paste mixture, pressing firmly with the back of a spatula, packing the mixture down well. Add the grated cheese if using. Season with black pepper and oregano.
- Broil for about 4 to 6 inchese from the heating element until lightly golden, 2-3 minutes approximately.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Cut into squares or wedges and serve at once.