Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this one off the Internet several years ago. My husband and I love it! It tastes best with fresh fettuccini. To vary the heat, us more or less red pepper flakes. My husband hates chunks of tomatoes, so I puree the diced tomatoes. It changes the texture, but not in a bad way.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 9 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 1⁄4 cup chopped basil
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and pepper flakes 5 minutes until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and salt. Cook over high heat until almost dry, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in cream. Bring to a boil; boil 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, cook fettuccini. Drain pasta and toss with sauce.
- Stir in basil. Serve with Parmesan.
This is delicious! I made a few adjustments, though, which my husband and I both liked: I used sliced mushrooms instead of onions, I added a little red wine with the tomatoes (just Trader Joe's cheap stuff), and I stirred in a little of the grated parmesan to the pasta with the basil before serving (in addition to adding some on top). It was delicious! But definitely don't overdo it on the pepper flakes-- a little goes a long way in this dish!!
This is very very good! I don't care for huge chunks of tomato either so used petite diced tomatoes and (because I needed to use them) I used shallot instead of onion. Had to go to two stores to find fresh fettuccine but I'm glad I did as this is just as much about the pasta as it is the sauce, i.e. this is not overly saucy (but I prefer that). I used a combination of basils that I grew myself (purple & green). The only thing I would change is the serving sizes as this was definitely 3 servings for me not 2. I thought the amount of spiciness was perfect as posted. Thanks for the recipe!