Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From 1001 Low Fat Vegetarian Recipes. Serve with some fried/baked tofu on the side.
- 4 onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups greens (kale, mustard or chard)
- 2 cups endive or 2 cups spinach
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces fettuccine pasta, cooked, warm
- Cook onions in oil over medium heat in a large skillet 5 minutes; reduce heat to low and stir in sugar.
- Cook until onions are golden in color and very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in broth and water; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until broth is reduced by about 1/3; 10 minutes.
- Add greens; simmer, covered, until greens are wilted, 5-7 minutes.
- Simmer, uncovered until broth is almost absorbed, 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon over pasta and serve.