Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Some interesting info found re: alfredo sauce. "The original owner of Alfredo's Restaurant in Rome, Alfredo Di Lelio, is said to be the originator of this delicious but rich dish of worldwide fame(invented at Alfredo alla Scrofa). He has since passed away, and the recipe for both the fettuccine pasta and the sauce remain secret. Some say the creaminess and lightness of the fettuccine and/or the sauce was in the cheese he used, or the addition of a little olive oil to the preparation of the fettuccine, others that the fettuccine was cooked in milk, still others that he gave each dish his blessing with a final toss using his gold fork and spoon before sending it to table." The quality and taste of the ingredients is the key to success with fettuccine Alfredo - especially the fettuccine and the cheese. The fettuccine should either be freshly made and as thin as possible, or, if store bought, the best fresh (not dry), thinnest pasta you can buy.
- 10 ounces fresh fettuccine or 10 ounces tagliatelle pasta noodles
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, at room temperature, plus extra cheese to pass at the table (Parmesan)
- 1 cup heavy cream, very lightly whipped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (use white pepper if you have it)
- TIMING is important with this dish - ideally the pasta finishes cooking when your sauce is ready - although the sauce will 'hold' for a short while on very low heat. If you are using fresh fettuccine, it can cook in as little as 2 minutes (plus the time it takes your water to boil), so you must prepare your ingredients accordingly. Fettuccine Alfredo is 'finished' in the pan - the cooked and drained pasta is added directly to the warmed and mixed ingredients in the pan.
- IN a pan large enough to hold all the pasta , melt the butter over low heat.
- ADD slowly the slightly whipped heavy cream and whisk either with a whisk or stir continuously with a wooden spoon till it is hot and slightly reduced. (variation: use 1/2 of the cream here, add the rest just at the end before you add the pasta.).
- ADD slowly the grated cheese as you continue stirring or whisking.
- COOK the pasta.
- ADD salt and pepper to the sauce to taste.
- ADD the cooked and drained pasta, mixing well with a wooden spoon.
- TURN into a warmed serving bowl, or directly onto warmed plates.
- PASS grated Parmesan at the table.
- PERSONAL NOTE:.
- I went searching for a broccoli and chicken alfredo and found this. I will be adding chicken and broccoli to this, putting it into a greased casserole dish, topping with mozzarella cheese and baking it (at 350F) until the cheese melts.