Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is basically a recipe I found in the Looneyspoons cookbook and altered to suit my tastes! So very yummy! Feel free to add whatever you like - sometimes I add chicken, and sometimes I add shrimp!
- 12 ounces fettuccine pasta, dry
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk (or I have used skim)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated (real is better)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 -2 cup shrimp or 1 -2 cup chicken
- Cook fettuccine. Drain and return to pot.
- While you are cooking the pasta, prepare the sauce. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Mix the milk and flour together until smooth. Add to garlic.
- Increase heat to medium high. Cook and stir until it is bubbling and thickened. 4 - 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in Parmesan cheese, basil, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 -2 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Stir in chicken or shrimp and sour cream.
- Cook until heated through.
- Pour sauce over fettuccine and toss to coat.
this was very simple to make. my family enjoyed. I didnt have 2% milk or skim milk so I used whole milk. With that exception I followed recipe to a T. VERY DELICIOUS!!
My kids love fettuccine alfredo, so I tagged this in Spring '08 PAC. I used whole wheat linguine, Smart Bal. margarine, skim milk, shrimp and added some cooked chopped broccoli. It would definitely be stronger tasting with the real Parmesan, so next time I will add 1/2 C grated. Kids gobbled it up.
This was a real treat for me. I usually avoid such recipes because if the high fat content. I used 1/2 the ask for amount of heart healthy margarine for the butter, fat free evaporated milk and fat free sour cream. I couldn't locate the fettuccine so used spaghetti and I skipped the pepper. I got a rich tasting and creamy sauce that was ready and waiting when the pasta was cooked. I think pasta will be back on my menu from time to time. Thanks bunches for this one Shannon!. Made for Photo Tag, Halloween.