Recipe by Manami
This is fast, healthy and so good! We made this recipe which we found on F&W Magazine, July/08 edition, with angel-hair pasta and it was delicious! This is "From Chef Tips For Speedy Dishes" by Grace Parisi where the fried capers add a delectable, salty crunch to the pasta tossed with fresh tomatoes and prosciutto.
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup small caper, drained and patted dry
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 4 anchovies packed in oil, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 1-inch-wide ribbons
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced basil
- 1 lb fettuccine
- freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil.
- In a small bowl, toss the capers with the cornstarch and transfer to a sieve; shake off the excess cornstarch.
- Add the coated capers to the oil and fry over high heat, tilting and gently shaking the pan, until the capers are crispy and golden, about 3 minutes.
- Drain the capers, reserving 2 tablespoons of the oil in the skillet.
- Spread the capers on a paper towel–lined plate.
- Add the anchovies and garlic to the skillet and cook over high heat, stirring, until the garlic is golden and the anchovies dissolve, about 3 minutes.
- Add the prosciutto, separating the ribbons, and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and crushed red pepper and cook just until the tomatoes begin to break down, about 3 minutes; stir in the basil.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Return the pasta to the pot along with the water and pour the sauce on top.
- Toss over high heat just until the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Serve the pasta in bowls, garnished with the crispy capers.
- Pass the grated cheese at the table.
- A Light Chardonnay: 2007 Terres Dorées Beaujolais Blanc will be a great addition to the meal, as well as, garlic breadsticks & a salad of greens.