Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
In 'Lidia's Italy' by Lidia Bastianich
Make and share this Fettuccine With Squash and Cauliflower recipe from Food.com.
- 118.29 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 3 plump garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 709.77 ml butternut squash, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 709.77 ml cauliflower, cut in small florets (about 1-inch)
- 59.16 ml small capers, drained
- 4.92 ml coarse sea salt or 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes
- 473.18 ml canned Italian plum tomatoes, crushed by hand (San Marzano)
- 453.59 g fettuccine pasta
- 236.59 ml freshly grated pecorino cheese
- Pour the olive oil into a big skillet, and set over med-high heat.
- Scatter in the sliced garlic, and let it start sizzling.
- Stir in the onion slices, and cook for a couple of minutes, to wilt.
- Spill in all the cut squash and cauliflower pieces, scatter the capers, salt, and red pepper flakes on top, and with tongs, toss all together for a minute or so.
- Pour a cup of water into the skillet, cover tightly, and steam the vegetables for 2-3 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes along with a cup of water sloshed in the tomato cans.
- Stir well and cover; when the tomato juices are boiling, adjust the heat to keep them bubbling gently.
- Cook covered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the vegetables are softened, uncover and continue cooking to reduce the pan juices to a good consistency for dressing the pasta, about 5 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste, and keep at a low simmer.
- While the sauce is cooking, heat salted pasta-cooking water to a rolling boil.
- Drop in the fettuccine and cook until barely al dente.
- Lift them from the water, drain for a moment, then drop onto the simmering vegetables.
- Toss and cook all together for a couple of minutes over medium heat.
- Moisten the dish with pasta water if it seems dry; cook rapidly to reduce the juices if they're splashing in the skillet.
- When the pasta is perfectly cooked and robed with sauce, turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle over it the grated cheese, toss into the pasta and serve.