Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This uses frozen spinach, making it easy to make any time. From Everyday Food, March 2007.
- 12 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- coarse salt
- ground pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more
- parmesan cheese, for serving
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, plus more
- pine nuts, for serving
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water.
- Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, place spinach, cheese, nuts, garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice in food processor.
- Process until a paste forms.
- With motor running, add water and oil; process until smooth and creamy (1 minute).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss sauce with pasta, using as much reserved pasta water to thin the sauce as needed.
- Sprinkle with cheese and nuts and serve.
I only made the pesto as I was looking for a spinach pesto recipe. It was exactly what I was looking for. I added a bit more garlic too and used a few walnuts instead of the pine nuts, I didn't have any. :-)
This is a great pesto, nice and lemony! I used fresh spinach (2 cups), twice the nuts, and left out the water.