1/3 Photos of Fettuccine With Shiitakes in a Saffron Cream Sauce
This recipe has the most amazing saffron sauce! Although it calls for shiitake mushrooms, I've made this with Oyster mushrooms and it is equally good, but you need to add some color. Red or orange bell pepper, julienne usually does the trick. Portobellas are good too. I always reduce the amount of heavy cream in this (by half!). If you don't have fettuccine, this is really good with bowtie pasta. An oaky chardonnay goes well with this. From Food & Wine, Pasta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 340.19 g fettuccine
- 354.88 ml dry white wine
- 4.92 ml saffron thread, lightly packed
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 59.16 ml butter
- 4 shallots, chopped (or use red onion)
- 1 red bell pepper, julienne (optional)
- 680.38 g shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 473.18 ml heavy cream (I reduce this to 1 cup or less)
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese (I use more)
- 59.14 ml flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- 2Meanwhile, bring the wine to a boil in a small saucepan and add the saffron. Remove from heat and let it infuse for 5 minutes.
- 3Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook for 12 minutes, or until the pasta is just done.
- 4While pasta is cooking, heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallots, mushrooms, peppers (optional), salt and pepper. Cook until very lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add the wine and saffron and boil for 2 mintues.
- 6Add the cream, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- 7If, like me, you reduced the volume of cream, the sauce may be runny. Make a slurry with a tablespoon of flour in two tablespoons water. Stir into the sauce and simmer until slightly thickened.
- 8Drain the pasta. Toss it with the sauce, parmesan and parsley. Serve immediately in large pasta bowls.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fettuccine With Shiitakes in a Saffron Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (530 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1074.1
- Calories from Fat 619
- Total Fat 68.7 g
- Saturated Fat 37.7 g
- Cholesterol 270.8 mg
- Sodium 866.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 21.5 g