Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe has the most amazing saffron sauce! Although it calls for shiitake mushrooms, I've made this with Oyster mushrooms and it is equally good, but you need to add some color. Red or orange bell pepper, julienne usually does the trick. Portobellas are good too. I always reduce the amount of heavy cream in this (by half!). If you don't have fettuccine, this is really good with bowtie pasta. An oaky chardonnay goes well with this. From Food & Wine, Pasta.
- 340.19 g fettuccine
- 354.88 ml dry white wine
- 4.92 ml saffron thread, lightly packed
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 59.16 ml butter
- 4 shallots, chopped (or use red onion)
- 1 red bell pepper, julienne (optional)
- 680.38 g shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 473.18 ml heavy cream (I reduce this to 1 cup or less)
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese (I use more)
- 59.14 ml flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, bring the wine to a boil in a small saucepan and add the saffron. Remove from heat and let it infuse for 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook for 12 minutes, or until the pasta is just done.
- While pasta is cooking, heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallots, mushrooms, peppers (optional), salt and pepper. Cook until very lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and saffron and boil for 2 mintues.
- Add the cream, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- If, like me, you reduced the volume of cream, the sauce may be runny. Make a slurry with a tablespoon of flour in two tablespoons water. Stir into the sauce and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Drain the pasta. Toss it with the sauce, parmesan and parsley. Serve immediately in large pasta bowls.
Oh WOW! If I could rate this dish higher than 5 stars I would! This was decadently delicious and plated beautifully. I am putting this in my keeper file under "company worthy." We used the optional red bell pepper, and 1 cup half and half and 1 cup cream. I'll be making this again (though not too often because of the high calories, but definitely for a special occasion). Thanks for a show stopper. It's not often I'm blown away. Made for Spring 2013 Photo Tag.
Delicious! This is very rich, so be prepared. I cut this recipe down to serve one, and really loved it. I used orange bell pepper, and regular, not heavy, whipping cream. My sauce didn't thicken up so I thickened with cornstarch and water. I added shaved parm until I thought it tasted right. This was amazing, and I'll make it again. Thanks for sharing! Saw a review in Photo tag, and made the recipe because of that review!