Recipe by sugarpea
Healthy comfort food. This dish relies on broth for the sauce, not cream. If you wish, you can use cooking spray instead of olive oil for sauteing the onions. Indulge in the butter for the sauce however; it adds a luxurious richness.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- salt and pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb fettuccine pasta
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Add oil to a small skillet over moderately low heat; saute the garlic, onion, red pepper flakes, thyme and salt and pepper to taste until the onion is softened.
- Place a large pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta.
- Add the bell peppers and broth to the onions, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until red pepper is very soft.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente; drain and return to pot.
- Place red pepper/onion mixture in blender and whirl until smooth; return it to the skillet; add butter, basil and lemon juice.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Pour sauce on pasta and toss to mix.