Healthy comfort food. This dish relies on broth for the sauce, not cream. If you wish, you can use cooking spray instead of olive oil for sauteing the onions. Indulge in the butter for the sauce however; it adds a luxurious richness.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- salt and pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 lb fettuccine pasta
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- fresh lemon juice
- 1Add oil to a small skillet over moderately low heat; saute the garlic, onion, red pepper flakes, thyme and salt and pepper to taste until the onion is softened.
- 2Place a large pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta.
- 3Add the bell peppers and broth to the onions, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until red pepper is very soft.
- 4Add pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente; drain and return to pot.
- 5Place red pepper/onion mixture in blender and whirl until smooth; return it to the skillet; add butter, basil and lemon juice.
- 6Adjust seasoning.
- 7Pour sauce on pasta and toss to mix.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fettuccine With Red Pepper and Basil Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (388 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 504.1
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 98.1 mg
- Sodium 289.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 16.3 g