Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another recipe from my love of Italian. (I know Italian blood is in me somewhere even tho my parents deny it) A change from the ordinary. Serve with a green salad and bread
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus
- salt (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces prosciutto, cut into thin strips 1/8-inch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 lb fettuccine pasta
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Trim and peel the lower green portions of the asparagus. Cook whole in salted boiling water in a skillet just enough water to cover the asparagus. Only a few minutes to cook tender.
- RESERVE 1/2 cup of the water
- When cool enough to handle, cut the asparagus into 1/4" lengths.
- Pour 4 quarts of water into a large pot and place over a high heat (for pasta).
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onion, cooking until it softens and turns a rich golden color.
- Stir in the sliced prosciutto and saute' until it has lost its raw color.
- Add the asparagus, raise the heat to medium-high and cook until it is lightly browned.
- Pour the reserved water in and cook until it has evaporated.
- Stir in the cream and cook, stirring frequently, until it has reduced by half. At this time taste for any salt requirements. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- When water for the pasta is boiling, and the sauce is off the heat, add 1 tablespoon of salt to the boiling water and drop in the pasta all at once, stirring well.
- When the pasta is cooked "al dente", drain it and toss it with the sauce, adding the grated cheese.
- Serve immediately.
- NOTE: Also good with: penne, fusilli corti, garganelli.