Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
In 'The Simpler the Better' by Leslie Revsin
- 4 ounces thinly sliced pancetta
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb dried fettuccine (or tagliatelle)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas (2 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup lightly packed fresh basil
- Unroll pancetta slices, then cut each strip across into pieces about 1/2 inch wide.
- Thinly slice garlic.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over med-low heat.
- Add pancetta.
- Cook, stirring occasionally and pressing down to submerge, until pale gold in color, about 10 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Add garlic to olive oil in skillet and cook on low heat until just turning pale gold, about 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Cook pasta until almost al dente, about 6 minutes, then add peas to pot.
- Cook 1 minute more, then drain.
- Return pot to low heat and add garlic-olive oil.
- Stir in pasta with peas.
- Stir in pancetta and toss strands to combine as best as possible.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to serving dish or divide among plates and scatter basil on top.