Fettuccine with Mussels, Leeks and Tomatoes
- This gorgeous dish is perfect for a special little dinner.
- As well as being easy to make, it tastes and looks wonderful, too.
- Choose cultured mussels as they are easy to clean and have lots of meat inside. Scrub mussels under cold running water; cut off any hairy beards.
- Discard any that do not close when tapped.
- Trim leeks, discarding dark green parts.
- Slice in half lengthwise and wash well.
- Cut into thin 1 1/2-inch long strips an d set aside. In large pot of boiling water, cook fettuccine until al dente (tender but firm); drain and return to pot. Meanwhile, in large heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic and thyme for 1 minute. Add mussels, leeks, tomatoes and wine; cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes or until leeks are tender and mussels open (discard any that don't open). Pour tomato mixture over fettuc cine; add parsley, and pepper to taste. Toss to mix and serve on dinner plates or in large individual bowls.