Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Unlike pesto made with basil, this delicious kale version doesn't lose it's bright-green color. It also has more micronutrients and protective phytonutrients.
- 946.36 ml stemmed chopped kale (about 1 bunch)
- 118.29 ml grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 88.74 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 59.14 ml pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1.23 ml red pepper flakes
- 453.59 g fettuccine or 453.59 g pappardelle pasta
- 236.59 ml grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- Make Pesto: Bring large pot of water to a boil. Fill large bowl with ice cubes and cold water. Plunge kale into boiling water and cook 3 minutes. Using tongs, transfer kale to ice bath. (The cold water allows the kale to keep its bright-green color.) After 3 minutes, drain kale in colander, then squeeze it firmly to press out excess water.
- Put kale, remaining pesto ingredients, and 1 teaspoon salt in food processor and puree until smooth. (Makes 1 cup.) Transfer to a container, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use. (Keeps up to 3 days in the refrigerator.).
- Prepare Pasta: Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add fettuccine and cook until al dente, per package directions. Just before the pasta is done, remove 2 tablespoons of the pasta cooking water and add it to the pesto. Add cheese and mix well.
- Drain pasta and toss with pesto. Serve with extra cheese, if desired.