Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
In 'Summer Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 large zucchini, scrubbed, cut lengthwise, and then cut into 1/4-inch thick half-moons (can use half zucchini, half yellow squash)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb fettuccine
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.
- Add half of the zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Repeat with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and zucchini.
- During the last minute of cooking the second batch of zucchini, stir in the garlic.
- Add to the bowl of zucchini.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with foil and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the fettuccine and cook according to package instructions just until tender.
- Scoop out and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Drain the pasta and return to the warm pot.
- Add the zucchini and any juices and the ricotta to the pot.
- Mix, adding enough of the pasta water to make a creamy sauce.
- Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to individual bowls and serve immediately, with a bowl of parmesan passed at the table.