Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an altered recipe from Cold-Weather Cooking by Sarah Lee Chase. I have reduced the fat and added extra seasonings and the peas. I also like to add mushrooms and a splash of Worchestershire sauce.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 ounces diced pancetta or 2 ounces bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (I like Pinot Noir)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1 lb fettuccine pasta, cooked and drained
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Saute the sausage and bacon, breaking up the sausage into bite sized pieces.
- Cook until well browned.
- Stir in the dried herbs, onion, fennel seeds, and saffron threads.
- Cook 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, paste, and wine.
- Cook 20 more minutes.
- Add the cream, peas, and fresh basil.
- Cook for just a minute, then remove from heat and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with the fettucine and top with the grated Parmesan.