This is an altered recipe from Cold-Weather Cooking by Sarah Lee Chase. I have reduced the fat and added extra seasonings and the peas. I also like to add mushrooms and a splash of Worchestershire sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 ounces diced pancetta or 2 ounces bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine (I like Pinot Noir)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1 lb fettuccine pasta, cooked and drained
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Saute the sausage and bacon, breaking up the sausage into bite sized pieces.
- 2Cook until well browned.
- 3Stir in the dried herbs, onion, fennel seeds, and saffron threads.
- 4Cook 15 minutes over medium heat.
- 5Add tomatoes, paste, and wine.
- 6Cook 20 more minutes.
- 7Add the cream, peas, and fresh basil.
- 8Cook for just a minute, then remove from heat and salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Serve with the fettucine and top with the grated Parmesan.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fettuccine With Creamy Tomato Wine Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 666.8
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 127.0 mg
- Sodium 1179.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 30.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: