Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Fine Cooking. Originally by Lidia Bastianich, wonderful matriarch of Italian home cooking.
Make and share this Fettuccine With Creamy Sage Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 8 large fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock (homemade or low-salt canned)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb dry fettuccine
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 ounces ricotta cheese, preferably smoked (ricotta affumicata)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add about 1 Tbs. salt.
- In a large skillet, combine the butter and sage. Stir over low heat until the butter has melted.
- Add the cream and stock and bring to a boil; cook until the mixture lightly coats the back of a spoon, about 3 minute
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the sauce from the heat but keep it warm.
- Meanwhile, cook the fettuccine until al dente, 10 to 12 minute
- With tongs, lift the pasta from the pot, let it drain for a moment over the boiling water, and then add it to the sauce in the skillet. (Alternatively, drain the pasta in a colander and add it to the sauce.)
- Cook gently on low for a few minutes for the pasta to absorb the sauce.
- Remove the pasta from the heat and stir in the grated cheese, and season amply with pepper.
- Serve in warmed bowls topped with the shaved ricotta.
This was a wonderful and delicious recipe...I think I'm going to find lots of uses for this sauce...I want to try it with a sausage ravioli next...