From Fine Cooking. Originally by Lidia Bastianich, wonderful matriarch of Italian home cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 8 large fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (homemade or low-salt canned)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb dry fettuccine
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 ounces ricotta cheese, preferably smoked (ricotta affumicata)
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add about 1 Tbs. salt.
- 2In a large skillet, combine the butter and sage. Stir over low heat until the butter has melted.
- 3Add the cream and stock and bring to a boil; cook until the mixture lightly coats the back of a spoon, about 3 minute
- 4Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Remove the sauce from the heat but keep it warm.
- 6Meanwhile, cook the fettuccine until al dente, 10 to 12 minute
- 7With tongs, lift the pasta from the pot, let it drain for a moment over the boiling water, and then add it to the sauce in the skillet. (Alternatively, drain the pasta in a colander and add it to the sauce.)
- 8Cook gently on low for a few minutes for the pasta to absorb the sauce.
- 9Remove the pasta from the heat and stir in the grated cheese, and season amply with pepper.
- 10Serve in warmed bowls topped with the shaved ricotta.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fettuccine With Creamy Sage Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 684.0
- Calories from Fat 460
- Total Fat 51.2 g
- Saturated Fat 31.1 g
- Cholesterol 202.2 mg
- Sodium 177.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 13.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves