To keep the fat low, but the flavor high, evaporated skim milk is used in the sauce. A little swiss cheese boosts the flavor even more. Found in BH&G New Dieter's cookbook.
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions, omitting oil or salt. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium covered saucepan cook broccoli or cauliflower and mushrooms ina small amount of boiling water for 7 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain.
- In the same saucepan stir together evaporated skim milk, cornstarch, dry mustard, salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Add cheese; heat and stir until melted.
- Stir in ham and cooked vegetables; heat through.
- Pour over hot pasta.