Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
My niece Kristi shared this delicious recipe with me and I altered it to make it more diet friendly!
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 8 ounces fettuccine
- Cut each chicken breast into several strips, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate.
- Add green and red bell peppers and onion to same skillet and sauté until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and crushed red pepper to skillet and sauté 4 minutes. Add half & half and chicken stock. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 8 minutes.
- Cut chicken into strips and add to sauce. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add basil and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese to sauce, stirring to incorporate. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain and return to pot. Add sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve, passing additional Parmesan separately.