Recipe by spatchcock
Adapted from Joy of Cooking--this is a terrific dish!! I used spinach fettuccine to make this even more beautiful. I was pretty free with the veggies--added some edamame, artichokes, spring onions and zucchini besides what's listed here. I added 25 minute prep time for all the chopping.
Top Review by Andrea-Oz
The very first primavera I've ever made, and absolutely wonderful. Great instructions. I used as many vegetables as I could, and next time will increase the quantities even more. But will decrease the oil/butter next time, too much for me. I did use light cream for the source and didn't feel it needed anything heavier. It even reheated the next day for lunch really well. Many envious glances from co-workers. Thanks Meow!
- 5676.0 ml water
- 29.58 ml salt
- 6 asparagus, tough ends trimmed and finely diced, except for tips, which should be left whole
- 226.79 g broccoli floret, a small head worth, cut into very small florets (Original recipe discards stems, but I dice those up too)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 44.37 ml butter
- 1 large sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 177.44 ml fresh peas or 177.44 ml thawed frozen peas
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 453.59 g fresh fettuccine or 340.19 g dry fettuccine
- 236.59 ml heavy cream or 236.59 ml half & half light cream
- 12 fresh basil leaves (I used half green and half purple!)
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Be sure everything is cut about the same size so the dish has a nice uniform look.
- Bring water and salt to a rolling boil.
- Add asparagus and broccoli and cook for one minute; remove veggies and plunge into cold water to stop cooking.
- Reserve vegetable cooking water for boiling pasta.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over med heat.
- Add onion and carrots; cook, stirring, till soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add blanched asparaguys and broccoli along with the frozen or fresh peas and S&P to taste.
- Cook till all veggies are tender.
- Return veg cooking water to a boil.
- Add fettuccine and cook till tender.
- While pasta is cooking, add cream to veggies and stir while simmering.
- Drain pasta and add to veggies with basil leaves and cheese.
- Serve this terrific dish while VERY HOT.