Recipe by SusieQusie
Flavorful and colorful side to any meal! You can reduce the cholesterol in this Heart Smart® recipe even more by using eggless fettuccine.
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, peeled, chopped, seeds and juice reserved
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 carrot, peeled, quartered, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried parsley)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh asparagus, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 8 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place tomatoes, onion, carrot, thyme, parsley, pepper and chicken broth in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add asparagus pieces & vinegar and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add reserved tomato juice and seeds and continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated and asparagus is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt.
- Drain fettucine and add to sauce. Sprinkle with cheese, toss to coat and serve immediately.