Recipe by Rhiannon and Matt
This is such a nice sauce. It is subtle, yet with a flavour and tang that comes from using the merest touch of hot chili. It comes from Charmaine Soloman's Complete Vegetarian Cookbook.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 small red chili pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (400 g) can tomatoes
- 1 large red capsicum (pepper)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 250 g fettuccine pasta
- 150 ml cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sized, heavy based saucepan, cook the onions, garlic & chili in the olive oil over low heat until onion is translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, capsicum & other ingredients except for the fettucine & cream.
- Cook uncovered, stirring now & then, until reduced & thickened.
- Put a large pan of lightly salted water on the boil & add pasta(add a small splash of oil to stop it boiling over).
- When pasta is tender,but still firm to the bite, drain fettucine into a colander.
- Add cream to the sauce, stir & heat through without boiling.
- Taste & adjust seasoning, then toss the pasta in the sauce & serve.