Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A carbonara that is a bit different. It is made without milk or cream and it gets topped off with a fried egg. From Bon Appetit Jan. 2009.
- 8 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, finely chopped (Italian bacon)
- 12 ounces egg fettuccine
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, rapini
- Whisk 4 eggs, both cheeses, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl; set aside. Cook pancetta in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to small bowl. Reserve skillet with drippings.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until almost tender (about 3 minutes less than package directions); add broccoli rabe. Cook just until broccoli rabe is crisp-tender and pasta is tender, about 3 minutes longer. Drain pasta-broccoli rabe mixture, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Return hot pasta-broccoli rabe mixture to pot (off heat). Immediately add egg-cheese mixture, pancetta, and 1/4 cup hot cooking liquid; toss to combine, adding more cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls to moisten as needed. Season to taste with salt and more pepper, if desired. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat skillet with drippings over medium heat. Crack remaining 4 eggs into skillet; sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until whites are opaque, about 2 minutes. Carefully turn eggs over; cook just until whites are set but yolks are still soft, about 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Top pasta with eggs and serve.
Wow, Wow, WOW! This was deliscious, filling and oh so easy to make. Had to sub bacon for the pancetta and I completely forgot to use the kale I had in place of the broccoli rabe, but no matter. It was a feast of flavors and the eggs were the perfect topper. We will make this a regular addition to the dinner in a hurry list. And it was quite economical to boot! Thanks for the keeper!
We were a bit skeptical (about the eggs) when we first made this, but it turned out GREAT! Very good flavor. We used garlic salt instead of regular salt and also added more pepper once we served it on our plates. Very delicious! We will definitely be keeping this recipe around!